Friday, November 20, 2009

Does ringworm damage skin?

I've had a quarter-sized bit of ringworm on my shoulder since the 24th of December. I've been cleaning and treating it daily with a cream like Tinactin and it's been slowly getting better, I guess. It's still pink and the same size, but the swelling, flaking and itching has all subsided immensely. It has looked the same for a few days.





I have no clue where I got it! None of our pets have it, no one in my family does, and none of my friends have it. I did get new clothes for the holiday, and that's the closest I've come to an explanation.





I've read that it will take about 4 weeks to get rid of this thing, so I wasn't too concerned until another smaller one showed up on the same arm, only around my elbow. I treated it right away and it seemed to heal ten times as quickly when I changed the bandage today.





This is my real question: due to how fast the second one healed, I am concerned about skin damage in the first spot. What can ringworm do to my skin, despite proper treatment? Thanks!

Does ringworm damage skin?
Despite its name, ringworm is not a parasite that transfers from your pet or family member to you, but a fungus. It's similar to the fungus that causes athlete's foot. If it's untreated it can get spread. My hubby had it on his nose, and ignored it; ultimately his entire head was covered with the rash.





As with most rashes, if you leave them alone, your skin will heal without a scar.





The second rash on your elbow may have been a sympathetic reaction, which sometimes happens with ringworm, where the skin breaks out but no actual fungus is present. That could be why it healed so fast.





Ringworm can be very resistant to treatment; you might want to try a cream with a different active ingredient and see if it is more effective.





My hubby ended up having to take an oral medication, and got his picture in a medical textbook! Once it cleared up, though, you would never know he had had such an awful rash.


No comments:

Post a Comment